Monday, March 18, 2013

Baguio Get Away

It's summer once again.  I vowed to myself last year that I would get that much coveted bikini body this summer.  I'd love to spend summer in the beach! Sadly laziness and bad food choices got in the way.  Suffice to say that I'm still the flabby old me.

Oh well, this summer, I'm dreaming of going back to Baguio - the summer capital of the Philippines.  I  went there last month and it was amazing.  I was told by the cab driver that 17 degrees is already warm for their weather there.  It used to be much lower he said.  Hell, that would have been freezing cold for me already!

Good thing about Baguio is that the cost of living there is more inexpensive.  You can already eat out and have a nice meal at 200 Php.  Cab fare starts at 30 Php.  We stayed in one of the transient homes there for 300 Php a night.  Trust me, if you're living in the city, that's already cheap.  I also like the laidback lifestyle most people seem to have there.

The cold weather is also a great ehem excuse to go all out in your boots and bomber jackets with fur!

Without further ado, let me present to you the things I did and places I visited when I was there!

Kodak Moment in Minesview Park
I was not picking strawberries, I was merely resting my weary legs from all the walking:)

La Trinidad Strawberry Farm


Little John's Restaurant in Camp John Hay boasts of a floor to ceiling window that overlooks the lush greeneries!
I'm missing this beef kebab from Little John.  Little John is a quaint restaurant located at the heart of Camp John Hay. A plate this filling is less than 200 Php.



Botanical Garden

You can rest and lie in the grass without looking weird while listening to local bands for free in Camp John Hay
No wheels? No problem! Rent a horse for about 350 Php to go around  Minesview Park.


Tips:
  • Stay in transient houses instead of in hotels.  You're in Baguio for a vacation not hibernation anyway.  You should spend most of your time there sight seeing and not sleeping.
  • Take the jeep instead of cabs to save on your commute money
  • Wear comfy footwear!
  • Wear warm clothes.  Pack in your jackets.  If you're planning to be in a dress, wear tights underneath to warm up your legs.
  • Bring your favorite moisturizer and lip balm to combat the dryness from the cold air.
  • If you have data plan in your phones, you can get around just by using Google Map!
  • Get used to seeing signs plastered around the city saying "Clean C.R." (I swear, this seems to be tagline of the city). They charge 5 Php per use.
  • If you're going to ride the boat in Burnham Park, pay someone to paddle it for you.  I tried maneuvering the paddle and it was hard!
  • The Night Market Ukay Ukay by Burnham Park is jampacked with people.  Make sure to shop around and haggle!
I was really able to enjoy my stay in Baguio. We were there for 4 days 3 nights.  The cold weather was really awesome and I'm sure a lot of people are going there in this sweltering heat of the metro.  If my work were ever to relocate there, I'd be the first to sign up!

How about you, what's your dream summer destination?

No comments:

Post a Comment